Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Flying with controllers question

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I usually only do local work in GA, but have been asked by my boss (aka wife) to DJ our nieces wedding reception in CA (and for free...smh).

I own 2 controllers:
My "Pioneer DDJ-SX2" that I absolutely love and prefer.
And my "AmericanDJ VMS2" that I started on, does the trick, but I only use when I need dual set ups. However the VMS2 is like 1/3 the size of the SX2.

I refuse to check them as baggage. It just wont happen under any circumstances. So whats the odds of either being a carry on? Like I said above, I'd prefer the SX2, but I don't know if the airline/CSA will let me bring it on board. I dont even know if they will let me bring the VMS2 on board either, even though it will probably fit in the overhead luggage.

Please advise if you can. Thanks.

Posted Sat 24 Feb 18 @ 5:20 pm
That's the reason "flight cases" were invented in the first place! :)
No, anything that won't fit in a luggage is not permitted on the cabin of most (if not all) airliners. Also most airliners have a strict rule for the luggage size you can carry in the cabin. If it won't fit inside their metal cage you'll have to check it in.

So: If your VMS2 fits inside a standard air cabin luggage, you can take it with you.
If not, you'll need a flight case (hard case) for any of the two units you decide to carry, and check it in.

PS: There's not an absolute standard size for handbags that you can carry on plane, so you should check with your airliner company. However the dimension are usually around 21x15x8 inches, and weight usually around 10Kg (22 pounds)

Posted Mon 26 Feb 18 @ 11:23 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006

Posted Mon 26 Feb 18 @ 1:07 pm
For what it's worth, I flew with my sx2 on jetblue. No issues for me. It was treated as oversized luggage and I just put a few fragile stickers on it (im sure that means nothing to any baggage handler).

I think I also added insurance to it, however that will do you no good when you show up to your gig with a broken controller...

Posted Mon 26 Feb 18 @ 2:51 pm
Possible perhaps to rent a controller on site?
On customer expenses of course.
Just update the rider LOL

Posted Mon 26 Feb 18 @ 6:51 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I kept my Vestax-400 for this exact same reason... travel!

On bigger planes this is allowed (the Traktor wheeled case).

I have a softcase as back-up if they won’t allow my main case as a carry-on. Sometimes I just use the softcase and put in the middle of my clothes in my luggage.

Around 5-6 travels for this little bad boy already.

Posted Tue 27 Feb 18 @ 12:19 am

Posted Tue 13 Mar 18 @ 10:38 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
That's the reason "flight cases" were invented in the first place! :)
No, anything that won't fit in a luggage is not permitted on the cabin of most (if not all) airliners. Also most airliners have a strict rule for the luggage size you can carry in the cabin. If it won't fit inside their metal cage you'll have to check it in.

So: If your VMS2 fits inside a standard air cabin luggage, you can take it with you.
If not, you'll need a flight case (hard case) for any of the two units you decide to carry, and check it in.

PS: There's not an absolute standard size for handbags that you can carry on plane, so you should check with your airliner company. However the dimension are usually around 21x15x8 inches, and weight usually around 10Kg (22 pounds)

thanks for the 411

Posted Tue 13 Mar 18 @ 10:39 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :

I looked into that. Guitar Center rents controllers. If logistics work out I may go that route.

Posted Tue 13 Mar 18 @ 10:39 pm
938MyDJ wrote :
I kept my Vestax-400 for this exact same reason... travel!

On bigger planes this is allowed (the Traktor wheeled case).

I have a softcase as back-up if they won’t allow my main case as a carry-on. Sometimes I just use the softcase and put in the middle of my clothes in my luggage.

Around 5-6 travels for this little bad boy already.
Yea Ive been considering a smaller pioneer for that same reason. Maybe the new SB3

Posted Tue 13 Mar 18 @ 10:42 pm
MrJackson2014 wrote :

LMAO.....glad to know someone understands.

Posted Tue 13 Mar 18 @ 10:42 pm
I've used one of these a few times in Ibiza, Faderfox DJ2;

I've also used a Vestax VC-1000;

Hmmmm, won't let me upload the pic....

Posted Tue 13 Mar 18 @ 11:04 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)