Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Having a recurring issue when using Stem FX
I am using VDJ 2023 pc64 build 7921.2044 and I am using a Pioneer DDJ-FLX6 controller. I use the 2018 4-deck interface.

I use stems heavily throughout my sets and, most specifically, the echo on vocals only during transitions. When I am doing a longer set and using stems and stem fx fairly heavily, randomly one of my decks will start to only play the "Instrument" stem of the song when playing, while I have the FX selected on vocals only. On both VDJ and my controller, it shows that all stems are active and the song is supposed to be playing regularly, but it's only the instrument stem playing, no matter which stem buttons I turn on and off from there. Then when I change the stem FX through melody, rhythm and no-fx, each one will activate a different configuration of stems that will play out of the speakers (usually the 'melody' selection will give me all stems playing regularly through the speakers). All of this is without the actual effect itself being activated, just the option for whichever stem the effect will apply to active. That deck becomes pretty much useless from there, unless I don't use it for any stems or effects and only if one of the configurations does give me all stems together.

Unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. 95% of the time, if I just keep mixing using the other 3 decks, that problem will spread to the other decks pretty quickly at random times, until I'm no longer able to use stems on any of the decks. It will only right itself after a complete VDJ restart.

I have been using this same VDJ and controller setup for about 3 years and this problem only started happening a few months ago. It has started happening more and more frequently to where I expect it to happen at least 1-2 times a weekend. It really gets in the way at live events. I've been lucky to have a backup PC at the club so that I can restart without killing the floor. But at weddings and events, I have to find real creative ways to make announcements so that I can reboot the software without killing the music, which really shouldn't be an issue.

If it helps, this issue usually starts to happen after mixing for 1-3 hours and when I've had the Vocal only Stem FX selected for a while. I could really really use some help on this one, let me know if you all need any other info from me to be able to diagnose easier. Thanks so much, in advance@!!

Posted Tue 30 Apr 24 @ 6:54 pm