Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: TIDAL STEMS ARE OUT - Page: 1
I JUST FOUND OUT FROM ANOTHER VDJ FAM POST THAT TIDAL IS NO LONGER LETTING VIRTUAL DJ USE STEMS…this is not cool!!!
Virtual Dj should have sent an email to their subscribers.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 2:22 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
 Best Answer Unfortunately the conditions on using Tidal in DJ software have indeed changed, and thus we had to disable this functionality for Tidal.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 6:37 am[ selected best answer by locoDog on Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 12:51 pm ]
Yeah this is all different flavors of not cool. There wasn't even an update or anything with a change log. It's just gone. Poof. For some reason, people who pay to use it are having to find out like this. I thought something was wrong on my end. I was fiddling around for like 15 minutes trying to figure out the problem before I started searching. Ultra wack.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 4:51 am
Double post

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 5:42 am
Tidal can’t just disable stems. The stems are made locally on your machine by VDJ after the track has been downloaded to memory.

What they might do, however, is change the terms and conditions and tell Atomix to disable stems in an upcoming release. Let’s hope that won’t happen..

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 6:35 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Unfortunately the conditions on using Tidal in DJ software have indeed changed, and thus we had to disable this functionality for Tidal.

Selected as best answer Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 6:37 am
Thanks for confirming.

Have they given any clue as to why they do it?

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 6:54 am
Madness915 wrote :

You mean the Tidal subscribes?
I don't think Atomix/VDJ knows who they are - the subscription is done directly with Tidal

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 7:00 am
And I thoroughly searched Tidal's site yesterday, for any official statement (or any info), and could not find anything.. related to stems.

And there was no email from Tidal.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 7:05 am
So now Tidal have a functionality worse than Deezer and at a cost greater than both Deezer and Spotify.
Oh well, save myself $AUD 27/month. Bye Bye Tidal.
(Yes I know Spotify isn't integrated in any DJ software)

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 10:13 am
It's Tidal right now, but I'd imagine that (assuming it's the copyright owners behind the decision) there will be a "no stems" policy for all streaming services going forward.

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 1:16 pm
FRNAFPRO InfinityMember since 2021
Zendesk response from Tidal Support:

Thank you for contacting TIDAL Support.

Access to the TIDAL catalog is subject to approval by the authorized rights holders. In partnership with our DJ Partners and label partners, we continue exploring solutions that will allow TIDAL subscribers more creative access to the TIDAL catalog.

Please keep an eye out in your inbox for updates from TIDAL as we make progress in these developments

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 7:13 pm
Thats a bot reply, not a human being .

Posted Sun 01 Oct 23 @ 8:21 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
Madness915 wrote :

You mean the Tidal subscribes?
I don't think Atomix/VDJ knows who they are - the subscription is done directly with Tidal

Fair. However, a general e-mail to all VDJ subscribers could've still been sent out. The users who it didn't apply to could've pressed delete. And the users it did apply to could've said, "wow! that sucks a**," and then pressed delete. But at least the latter would've still gotten a heads up instead of troubleshooting our systems for hours until finally everyone broke and came here looking for answers.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 8:30 am
SepatroPRO InfinityMember since 2019
Are there any signs that the same will happen to Deezer?

STEMS are a major feature, and so is streaming.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 10:38 am
Just another reason as to why you SHOULD be buying your tracks and NOT relaying on a streaming service which as you now see can switch up on you at ANY MOMENT without ANY HEADS UP!!

Streaming IS NOT THE FUTURE!!

Posted Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 12:31 pm
Simply don't depend on streaming. Buy your music.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 12:53 pm
Quote :

Streaming IS NOT THE FUTURE!!

So I'll say I partially agree with this... but I would say it like this:

Streaming, where you don't control the prescence of/own the content is not a reliable option/a future you could can depend on as a DJ.

I think cloud storage/supply options with caching can help/is a better future, but only where you can guarantee/control access to your music. Even then I would rather depend on providing my own cloud (a la Nextcloud/Owncloud or my own NAS) instead of commercial providers like Dropbox, because even they can decide to go out of business/be strongarmed similarly.

Posted Mon 02 Oct 23 @ 3:27 pm
On another note, don't know if anyone has noticed this, but ....when you typed "Virtual DJ" in search on help on TIDAL, there used to be an article listing 3rd party software (including DJ software), more importantly including and "mentioning" Virtual DJ. I just did that search again on TIDAL's help, and I now notice that nothing comes up for Virtual DJ or VDJ anymore. The only articles or 3rd party software shown now are for Serato and Roon. What does this mean? ...is TIDAL planning on ditching Virtual DJ eventually? The only article for DJ software (they act like they support now) is Serato. Thoughts....

btw, I understand the concept and reasons for and behind DRM, but I think everyone also knows that the more aggressive DRM gets, it's going to be impossible. Anyone ever try to play or post one of their 'own' copyrighted tunes, and have it censored by DRM? (pushing people to not seek copyright... lol). Regardless, I see DRM shooting the music industry in the foot (the 'unappointed' mob of ASCAP and BMI

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 6:12 pm

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 6:19 pm
This is not cool... I have just upgraded my Tidal account as well, now they do this to us.. this is without a doubt a lose lose for Tidal.. but it does say this on their website...

Not all mumbo jumbo and mixed with other artist tracks... maybe they have been giving us a clue, stems would be outlawed

Posted Fri 06 Oct 23 @ 9:43 pm
38%